Small business is the backbone of the UK economy, making up most of the private sector and provides over 60% of total employment in the UK1. However, 43% of small businesses don’t have a business continuity, disaster recovery or crisis management plan in place2. A major loss or disruptive event could put them out of business, impacting not only business owners and employees but the wider local community. Make sure it doesn’t happen to you by using our Would You Be Ready? Resilience Starter Kit.
The toolkit has six sections designed to help small business better manage the following risks
- Cyber improve cyber security
- Flood ensure the business is better prepared in the event of a flood
- Civil unrest keep staff and premises safe from harm
- Insurance ensure the business has the right cover in place
- Brexit prepare for a UK exit from the EU
This toolkit was developed by the Business Emergency Resilience Group (BERG), created by His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales to help businesses and communities across the UK to prepare for, respond to, and recover from emergencies.
1. UK Government - Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee (2019), Seventeenth Special Report on Small businesses and productivity [HC 807]. Available at https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmbeis/2017/2017...
2. Business Matters, (2017) Nearly half of UK SMEs surveyed expect to be hit by rising security threats, available at https://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/news/nearly-half-uk-smes-surveyed-expect-hi...